the thing that separates girls from women and boys from men is not letting everyone know our inner monologue and keeping ourselves from oversharing.
The Internet also makes it extraordinarily difficult for me to focus. One small break to look up exactly how almond milk is made, and four hours later I’m reading about the Donner Party and texting all my friends: DID YOU GUYS KNOW ABOUT THE DONNER PARTY AND HOW MESSED UP THAT WAS? TEXT ME BACK SO WE CAN TALK ABOUT IT!
—Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns), Mindy Kaling
Effects Of Thinking White People Are “All Like That”:
- Literally nothing other than white people having their feelings hurt on the internet
- I’m not joking there is no real world consequence of this
Effects Of Thinking People of Color Are “All Like That”:
- Saudi student is literally surrounded by FBI for cooking rice under terrorist suspicions
- White people literally can not associate positive words with Black faces because of racism
- More white people use drugs but Black people are sent to jail for drugs at 10 times the rate that white people are
- Black people who “sound Black” earn less money than those who don’t because of associations with stereotypes. Black people who “sound Black” are less likely to get called back for jobs
- Black children grow up literally associating being Black with being bad and ugly
- White people when tested shot more unarmed Black subjects than armed and unarmed white subjects
- Hate crimes increase after Boston tragedy
- Moroccan High School Student is linked to Boston tragedy for being Brown
- Bangladeshi man is beaten by people out of racism
- NYPD Commissioner wants Black and Latino men to fear him after the police targeted literally 90 percent Black and Latino men in New York and humiliating them by frisking them in public under the assumption that they had weapons. Studies found that white men were the ones who overwhelmingly had weapons while Black and Latino men didn’t
- White people blaming and convicting Black men for crimes they never committed and everyone believing them because of racism
- Stop and Frisk, ruled unconstitutional was practiced by New York police disproportionately and unfairly affecting 90% Black and Latino men because of racism
- Universities throwing racist ‘Fiesta Party’ homogenizing culture with extreme racism
- Here are some of the numbers on hate crimes against People of Color and btw, Neo Naziism is increasing!
- Every 28 Hours an African American is Extrajudicially Murdered in the U.S.
- Black people 3 times more likely to be arrested for Marijuana
- Black people receive much harsher sentencing than white people for the same crimes do I need to go on?
But yeah, white people’s feelings :*(
I love going on first dates. I like a lot of things about dates. The nerves, the crippling anxiety, playing it cool, the pep talks, the monologues, the details, that first look, the smiles, the topics of conversation, the locations, the mating rituals, the raptorial legs, the thoraxes, the first bite into your head, the minute or so of sexual cannibalism, good byes and the good night kiss.
But maybe I’m just a romantic. I love dating.
Who decides which deaths are tragic and which are not? Who decides what is big and what is little? Is it a matter of numbers or physical mass or intelligence? If you are a little creature or a little person dying alone and in pain, you may not remember or know that you are little. If you are in enough pain you may not remember who or what you are; you may know only your suffering, which is immense. Who decides? What decides? Common sense? Can common sense dictate such things? Common sense is an excellent guide to social structures – but does it ever have anything to do with what moves you?
The problem with grief is that you tell everyone such that each person takes a little piece of your burden away. The more people you tell, the less you have to carry. Then, when you’ve told enough people, you’re left with nothing.
And when you think of that nothing after time passes, you realize you want it all back. You are guilty that you pretended to live a different life, which was only possible because everyone who loved you so generously took away your burden. You owe it to yourself to feel all that pain and all that burden yourself. You need to just feel it, let it rampage through your system, and let it go.
training a new assistant
- A: Another question.. how do you feel about me wearing a hat?
- M: Are you going to wear it backwards?
- A: ... yes.
- M: Ask Dr. Zane
Hey look I live in San Francisco, I am important. I have 2 startups. One startup is a combination of Square and Foursquare but it uses Vine to sync with the social network. The other startup lets you add pre-selected images of sloths to your photos. I dropped out of Stanford.
“You want the truth and you want the truth and when you get it you can’t take it and have to turn away. So is telling a person the truth a good or malignant act?”
I watch my sick dog nearly throw himself off an examining table out of fear of the unknown. He has no idea what is going on and is in pain. When the exam is over, he hides behind my legs, like a child.
I clear out a cooler full of thick spiderwebs and carefully transport the three fat living spiders onto the grass, shuddering at their fat abdomens.
A lady bug lands on our raft, the perfect red freckle against the bright yellow.
Two cats lay still as statues and half immersed in the bright green of a front lawn. Their heads move in unison while I walk past.
Hens and roosters cluck and coo as I feed them clovers I’ve wrenched from nearby lawns.
A stunning white stork glides over us on the river. Its wings are in perfect half-circle hemispheres. I am reminded of a woman’s eyebrows or the happy-closed eyes of a baby. Silently, I am flooded with elegant metaphors. My partner sums it up perfectly: “Ain’t that purty”